Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Wie amerikanisch bin ich? Questions...

So this has been a tough sort of time for me, intellectually speaking that is. I have given a lot of thought and energy to discussions about my experiences thus far, but I am having real trouble articulating this to everyone back home. Part of me is ready to come home and see all the things I've missed, but another equally valid and entrenched part of me would love nothing more than to stay here in Germany and continue my studies and explorations.

My questions for the readers out there: How do I reconcile the two of these ideas? Is there some sort of middle ground, particularly when there is no geographic middle ground? Another thing I have been ruminating on is the idea of a "reverse culture shock", an idea my roommate and close associates have discussed. Can I successfully reintegrate into an academic milieu so much more defined and regimented than Germany? Will I be able to sort of assume the "Berkeley Will" outfit that I left behind?

As my time here in Germany draws to a close, I am faced with ever more questions, and me being me (I love knowing the answer), have encountered frustration in that there seems to be no satisfying answer. On another note, I turned 22 this last weekend, and I feel loads smarter and more worldly. :D

2 comments:

  1. Humans are surprisingly good at adapting. You could be headed to a beet farm in Southern India, and given some time, you'd likely adjust pretty quickly. I think reverse culture shock inevitable, at least until you go back and forth so often you've acclimated to living in two different cultural scenarios. In which, I suppose the details matter more than broad concerns about reintegration.

    Also, happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thanks. I realized that I am terrible about responding to comments, which may be why I get so few of them.

    It is nice to hear that I won't stick out or not "fit in" upon coming home. Its just so weird to have this feeling of wanting to go home and wanting to stay right here.

    Beet farms in India though? Hmm. I never had the Asian subcontinent as beet-eaters.

    ReplyDelete