Monday, June 22, 2009

45 Flaschen Bier an der Wand...

So as the title would suggest, I do in fact return home to America in a scant 45 days. As a sort of sendoff, I am titling all posts from here on out in German, but most of them speak for themselves if your German is not up to par.

It seems weird to have spent such a period of time in another country (almost a year!) but to have it feel so natural and to be frank, like home. I then examine somewhere that I've called home for 3 years and come to know and love, and it just feels so alien. A lot of discussion around our apartment has centered on this debate and just how it will feel, combined with a healthy (or perhaps the opposite) discussion on the merits of In-N-Out and Taco Bell.

It seems weird as well to have such a concrete endpoint to all of my affairs here in Germany! I feel like there is so much to be done, with school and logistics, but also with fun and experiences that I won't be able to get it all done and squared away with. Even that term, "squared away" has become rather ingrained in the thought processes of my mind. I find myself making lists, and running through all the things that need to be done before I can have fun, and ultimately leave. Oh well. I would appreciate your thoughts as well as I collect the pieces of me and return to my American self.

On another note, I would be happy to take requests (within reason of course) for souvenirs! I am of course buying various things for the folks and family back home, but if there is something you would like, I would be happy to take a note of it and put it on my list of things needing doing. Just drop me a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment